Zion Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located about 7½ miles (12 km) northeast of the town of Pryor, Mayes County, Oklahoma, was organized in May 1911 under the leadership of B. F. Hartzler (minister), who with several other families moved to the community from Cass County, Missouri, as a member of the Conservative Amish Conference. In 1912-1915 several families from the disintegrating congregation at Stuttgart, Arkansas, moved in and joined this congregation, comprising about half the membership. In August 1938 the congregation became a member of the South Central Conference.
The first services were held alternately in the Ogreeta schoolhouse and a machine shed. English was always used at the schoolhouse, while the other service was partly German. A church was built sometime later. In 1921 the vacated building at Stuttgart was moved to the present church site and in 1947 a basement was placed under this building. For three periods of one year each the congregation was without a minister, during which the deacon served. The membership in 1957 was 108, with Richard Birky as bishop and John Troyer as pastor to begin official service in May 1959. The membership in 1958 was 104.
In 2012 the leading minister was Duey Matthews and the congregational membership was 137.
Hershberger, Brenda. Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2012-13. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2012: 57.
 Additional Information
Address: 749 W 430 Rd, Pryor OK 74330-2872
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||April 2012|
 Cite This Article
Histand, Nelson and Richard D. Thiessen. "Zion Mennonite Church (Pryor, Oklahoma, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 24 May 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Pryor,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=140806.
Histand, Nelson and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Zion Mennonite Church (Pryor, Oklahoma, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 May 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zion_Mennonite_Church_(Pryor,_Oklahoma,_USA)&oldid=140806.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.