From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
Zimmerman was the name of two cemeteries in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], one of them associated with the [[Lichty Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA)|Lichty meetinghouse]], although a half mile away, and the other with the Martindale meeting house near by. The former was used rarely in the 1950s, but the [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order Mennonites]] used the latter. Both are well kept.
 
Zimmerman was the name of two cemeteries in [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], one of them associated with the [[Lichty Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA)|Lichty meetinghouse]], although a half mile away, and the other with the Martindale meeting house near by. The former was used rarely in the 1950s, but the [[Old Order Mennonites|Old Order Mennonites]] used the latter. Both are well kept.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, pp. 1029-1030|date=1959|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 4, pp. 1029-1030|date=1959|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Revision as of 19:05, 20 August 2013

Zimmerman Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, was a congregation of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference in Carroll County, MD. The meetinghouse built by John Zimmerman in 1858 is located 2 miles south of the Mason and Dixon Line, and 3½ miles southeast of Linesboro. There had previously been a log meetinghouse across the lane. John K. Zimmerman deeded the tract in 1866 to Abraham Hostetter and Samuel T. Bechtel, trustees of the Hanover congregation. The cemetery near by is mentioned in the farm deed. The congregation was never large, and since the land was not too fertile, the members moved away; by 1921 services were discontinued. It was a part of the York-Adams County Bishop District.

Zimmerman was the name of two cemeteries in Lancaster County, one of them associated with the Lichty meetinghouse, although a half mile away, and the other with the Martindale meeting house near by. The former was used rarely in the 1950s, but the Old Order Mennonites used the latter. Both are well kept.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1959


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Zimmerman Mennonite Church (Carroll County, Maryland, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zimmerman_Mennonite_Church_(Carroll_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=79028.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1959). Zimmerman Mennonite Church (Carroll County, Maryland, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zimmerman_Mennonite_Church_(Carroll_County,_Maryland,_USA)&oldid=79028.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1029-1030. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.