Lichty (or Smoketown) Mennonite Church, originally a congregation of the Weaverland circuit, Lancaster Mennonite Conference, first worshiped in the farm homes of Christian Lichty and Peter Shirk, until the meetinghouse was built in 1849 a mile south east of the present site. In 1889 a stone meetinghouse was erected (this was the church where the introduction of a pulpit aided the Old Order Mennonite schism). This was earlier also called Zimmerman, and the cemetery in a field a half mile southwest of the present sector still carries the name. The bishop Christian Zimmerman lived hereabouts. This was also Preacher John W. Weaver's home church. In 1956 J. Paul Graybill was bishop and the Weaverland ministers were in charge. The membership in 1956 was 92. In 2002 the membership was 160; Clair R. Long served as minister.
In the 2000s Lichty Mennonite Church withdrew from the Lancaster Conference, and joined the Keystone Mennonite Fellowship.
 Additional Information
Address: 1690 Union Grove Road, East Earl, Pennsylvania
Denominational Affiliation: Keystone Mennonite Fellowship
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
|Date Published||June 2014|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. "Lichty's Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2014. Web. 22 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lichty%27s_Mennonite_Church_(East_Earl,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122936.
Landis, Ira D and Sam Steiner. (June 2014). Lichty's Mennonite Church (East Earl, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lichty%27s_Mennonite_Church_(East_Earl,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=122936.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.