Zeist (Utrecht, Netherlands)
Zeist, a town in the Dutch province of Utrecht, the seat of a Mennonite congregation, which was founded as a Kring (circle) on 16 June 1929 and organized as a congregation on 23 March 1931. From January 1921 until 1929 meetings were held at Zeist more or less regularly. A meetinghouse was built at Zeist in 1931, designed by church member Architect J. A. van der Woude, and dedicated on 10 January 1932, by Tj. Kielstra. The first pastor of the Zeist congregation was C. Nijdam, serving 1933-1946, followed by W. Mesdag.
The baptized membership, numbering ca. 100 when the congregation was founded, was 339 in 1958. Church activities included two women's circles and a Sunday school for children. A home for the aged, called Schaerweyde, was opened at Zeist on 13 October 1951.
Congregation: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Zeist
Address: Pauw van Wieldrechtlaan 29a, 3701 ET Zeist, Netherlands
Church website: Doopsgezinde Gemeente Zeist
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Zeist (Utrecht, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 18 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zeist_(Utrecht,_Netherlands)&oldid=125955.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1959). Zeist (Utrecht, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Zeist_(Utrecht,_Netherlands)&oldid=125955.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1022. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.