Wood River Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located in Wood River, Hall County, Nebraska, a member of the Iowa-Nebraska Mennonite Conference, had its beginning in 1904-1905 when a group of Mennonites from Milford, Nebraska, about 100 miles east of Wood River, settled in this neighborhood. Among the group were the John B. Jantzi, David D. Stutzman, Peter Zehr, Mose Zehr, and Ruel Riley families. In the fall of 1905 they organized a Sunday school and soon afterward a congregation. Their first meeting place was in a rented building located 1.5 miles east and 5 miles north of Wood River. In the fall and winter of 1908-1909 a plot of land was obtained 4.5 miles north and 1 mile west of Wood River, on which a frame building, with seating capacity of about 200, was erected.
Joseph E. Zimmerman was ordained the first minister in 1906. The ministers in 1958 were William R. Eicher bishop and Alvin Gascho minister, and the membership was 49.
In 2013 the minister was Matthew Miller-Troyer.
 Additional Information
Address: 14988 W Husker Hwy, Wood River, NE 68883-9719
|Date Published||March 2013|
 Cite This Article
Gascho, Alvin. "Wood River Mennonite Church (Wood River, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 7 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wood_River_Mennonite_Church_(Wood_River,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=86228.
Gascho, Alvin. (March 2013). Wood River Mennonite Church (Wood River, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wood_River_Mennonite_Church_(Wood_River,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=86228.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.