Wickrath, an imperial district on the Niers River, was bordered by Jülich to the south, west and north, and the Archbishopric of Cologne to the east. The baron of Quadt-Wickrath accepted in his domain the Mennonites who had been expelled from Holland in 1652. In September 1663 he received an imperial demand to "deliver the Anabaptists taken in by him who had been expelled from other territories, of whom there were about 50 in the Wickrath domain," in the space of three months, because "this forbidden sect was everywhere making inroads into the empire." At first this command was disregarded, but ten years later the Mennonites had to leave Wickrath. Most of them went to adjacent Rheydt, where until 1694 they enjoyed the protection of the barons of Rylandt-Rheydt and then were expelled by Johann Wilhelm, the Palatine Elector.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. IV.
 Cite This Article
Niepoth, Wilhelm. "Wickrath (Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 7 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wickrath_(Nordrhein-Westfalen,_Germany)&oldid=106436.
Niepoth, Wilhelm. (1959). Wickrath (Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 7 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wickrath_(Nordrhein-Westfalen,_Germany)&oldid=106436.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.