Wichita, county seat (1959 pop. 250,000; 2005 pop. 354,865) of Sedgwick County, Kansas, lies near the eastern end of the Great Bend Prairie, in the south-central section of Kansas, 25 miles south of Newton. Most of the strong Mennonite communities of central Kansas lie within shopping distance. In the late 1950s there were two Mennonite Brethren churches (128 members), two Mennonite Church (one with 23 members, the other an African-American mission, at the time not yet organized, but with a church dedicated in 1959), and one General Conference Mennonite Church (410) within the area of Greater Wichita, with a total membership of 561.
Mennonites are scattered over all areas of the city and the suburban fringe outside the city limits. Wichita schools hire many Mennonite teachers. Some Mennonite students take graduate work at the University of Wichita. Nurses and doctors study and intern in the city's hospitals. Wealthy homes desire the domestic services of Mennonite girls. The varied industries, including the large airplane factories, offer employment for both men and women.
Harms, Orlando. "Mennonites of Wichita Worship." Mennonite Life VIII (January 1953).
Langenwalter, J. H. "From Whence Came the Mennonites of Wichita.” Mennonite Life VIII (January 1953).
Stoneback, George S. "Mennonites of Wichita Live and Work.” Mennonite Life VIII (January 1953).
|Author(s)||George S Stoneback|
 Cite This Article
Stoneback, George S. "Wichita (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 16 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wichita_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=86002.
Stoneback, George S. (1959). Wichita (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Wichita_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=86002.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.