From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

White Hall Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, near Oronogo in Jasper County, Missouri, was last listed in the 1953 Mennonite Yearbook, with 15 members. In 1936 the church had its largest membership of 69. Joseph Blosser and family of Virginia, who arrived in Jasper County in 1867, were the first Mennonites in the area; by 1892 the church had grown to some 20 members. The congregation worshiped in the White Hall school until 1897, when it built a church across the road from the school. The first minister was Joseph Weaver, from Virginia, who was ordained in Missouri. Andrew Shenk, from Ohio, became the minister of the church in 1895. Another well-known preacher of the congregation was E. J. Berkey.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "White Hall Mennonite Church (Oronogo, Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=White_Hall_Mennonite_Church_(Oronogo,_Missouri,_USA)&oldid=113685.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1959). White Hall Mennonite Church (Oronogo, Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=White_Hall_Mennonite_Church_(Oronogo,_Missouri,_USA)&oldid=113685.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 940. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.