Volendam Mennonite Brethren (MB) Church, located in Colony Volendam, was a branch of the Friesland MB Church in the late 1950s. Upon the arrival of the first immigrants from Russia via Germany after World War II in 1947-1948, services for the church group were sponsored and conducted largely by the Friesland MB Church under the leadership of Kornelius Voth. In late 1948 another group of immigrants joined them including their minister, Franz Janzen. Services continued as before until the Volendam MB Church was formally organized on 9 November 1949, under the leadership of Franz Janzen assisted by Kornelius Voth of Friesland, with a membership of 138. Later Johann Barwich was ordained deacon. Services are held regularly in cooperation with the Mennonite Church, except on the first Sunday of each month, when they are held separately in the village schools. A new brick church with seating capacity of 400 was built in the village of Mariental in 1950. Choir and youth work were largely in cooperation with the local Mennonite church. Church discipline was practiced according to Biblical teachings and other church practices were similar to those observed and followed in the Friesland MB Church. In 1957 the membership was 112, with Aron Reimer as pastor.
 Cite This Article
Funk, J. "Volendam Mennonite Brethren Church (Colony Volendam, San Pedro Department, Paraguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 10 Dec 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Volendam_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Colony_Volendam,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=85841.
Funk, J. (1959). Volendam Mennonite Brethren Church (Colony Volendam, San Pedro Department, Paraguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 10 December 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Volendam_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Colony_Volendam,_San_Pedro_Department,_Paraguay)&oldid=85841.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.