From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Swiss Mennonite Church (originally General Conference Mennonite) was organized 2 December 1904, near Starkweather, North Dakota, with Christian Kauffman in charge. About 1910, when a number of families moved, the address of the church was changed to Alsen, North Dakota. The first meetings were then held in the Town Hall. The present meetinghouse was dedicated on 13 September 1919, and is located in Alsen. This church is a member of the Northern District. The membership in 1957 was 79, with Leonard Harder as pastor.

In 2007 the congregation transferred from the Central Plains Mennonite Conference to the North Central Conference of the Mennonite Church.

[edit] Bibliography

Thomas, Everett J. "Congregations Switch Membership." The Mennonite (1 September 2013). http://www.themennonite.org/issues/16-9/articles/Congregations_switch_membership


Author(s) Daniel G Regier
Date Published March 2014


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Regier, Daniel G. "Swiss Mennonite Church (Alsen, North Dakota, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2014. Web. 27 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Swiss_Mennonite_Church_(Alsen,_North_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=115688.

APA style

Regier, Daniel G. (March 2014). Swiss Mennonite Church (Alsen, North Dakota, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Swiss_Mennonite_Church_(Alsen,_North_Dakota,_USA)&oldid=115688.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 671. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.