From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Stiegnitz (Trstěnice), a village in the district of Moravský Krumlov (German, Mährisch-Kromau), Moravia, in the domains of Sigmund von Zastrizl, in which there was a Bruderhof of the Hutterian Brethren. The inhabitants were attacked by soldiers and ruffians on 6 and 7 January 1622, soon after the treaty of peace of Nikolsburg, and were severely mistreated. One brother was tortured, an­other was hanged, but cut down again; a third was set on burning coals and died in consequence, a fourth was cut down, and the women were raped. Finally they turned all the inhabitants, the sick, the aged, and the children out into the cold. Four feeble persons froze to death. The rabble escaped with the plunder and burned the house down. On 30 January 1622, the Brethren were again attacked by troops and plundered. In October 1622 the Brethren were banished from Stiegnitz, leaving all their possessions behind. They found refuge in Hungary at Dubnitz and Zobelhoff (Sobláhov). The Zobel­hoff Bruderhof was bought of Hieronymus Thaus on 6 December 1622, for 150 talers.

[edit] Bibliography

Beck, Josef. Die Geschichts-Bücher der Wiedertäufer in Oesterreich-Ungarn. Vienna, 1883; reprinted Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1967.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. IV, 247.

[edit] Maps

Map:Stiegnitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)


Author(s) Christian Hege
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Hege, Christian. "Stignitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 26 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stignitz_(Jihomoravsk%C3%BD_kraj,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=120456.

APA style

Hege, Christian. (1959). Stignitz (Jihomoravský kraj, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stignitz_(Jihomoravsk%C3%BD_kraj,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=120456.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 633. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.