From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Stephenfield Sommerfeld Mennonite congregation at Stephenfield, Manitoba began services about 1951. The first building was occupied in 1953 when it was moved from Grosweide.

Bishop John A. Friesen served in the 1980s as a non-salaried congregational leader. The congregation has been affiliated with the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church of Manitoba. The language of worship is German and English. Two ministers were elected at Stephenfield over the years -- Bernard B. Friesen (1955) and Jacob Dyck (1976).

The church was closed in 1993; it has served the Grossweide and Stephenfield congregations for almost 100 years. The building was 2 km north and 3 km west of Stephenfield.

[edit] Bibliography

Peters, Jake. "An Annotated Bibliography of Materials Relating to the Sommerfelder Mennonite Church." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1979. Mennonite Heritage Centre.

Bergen, Peter. History of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church : That is the Background and First Hundred Years of the Sommerfeld Mennonite Church. Altona, MB: The Church, 2001.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published December 1986


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Stephenfield Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Stephenfield, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 1986. Web. 20 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stephenfield_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Stephenfield,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=113985.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (December 1986). Stephenfield Sommerfeld Mennonite Church (Stephenfield, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stephenfield_Sommerfeld_Mennonite_Church_(Stephenfield,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=113985.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.