From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Stecklin Preaching Appointment near Stouffville, ON was located near Steckley residences in Whitchurch Township. The congregation dissolved in 1860. It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario. The language of worship was German.

The congregation began services in 1858. Services alternated with the Huber preaching appointment. Both were discontinued when the Almira Mennonite Meetinghouse was built in 1860.

The settlement was founded by several Steckley families living near Bethesda "store corners." Services were held only every eight weeks. It was common among the Tunkers (Brethren in Christ) in this area to hold services in homes periodically, a custom likely followed by the Mennonites in this community.


Author(s) Joseph C. Fretz
Marlene Epp
Date Published April 1986


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. "Stecklin Mennonite Preaching Appointment (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 21 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stecklin_Mennonite_Preaching_Appointment_(Stouffville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=77903.

APA style

Fretz, Joseph C. and Marlene Epp. (April 1986). Stecklin Mennonite Preaching Appointment (Stouffville, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Stecklin_Mennonite_Preaching_Appointment_(Stouffville,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=77903.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.