Slate Hill Mennonite Church, located in the beautiful Cumberland Valley, 7 miles west of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, began when David Martin (1767-1822), oldest son of Bishop Henry Martin of Weaverland, settled here. In 1810 the scattered members built a brick meetinghouse called "Martin" on an elevation on his farm. In 1831 the ministers were his brother David (1807-75) and William Westhafer (1782-1851). The second brick church was built in 1875. This has always been the strongest Mennonite congregation in the Cumberland Valley. It was the home congregation of Bishop Benjamin F. Zimmerman (1851-1930), Samuel Hess (1854-1948), and the present (1957) Bishop William M. Strong. The first Sunday school, headed by Jacob Mumma (1809-76), was held in 1872. The first Sunday-school meeting in the Lancaster Mennonite Conference was held here on 5 November 1896. In 1957 the ministers were Christian W. Zimmerman and Norman L. Zimmerman; the membership was 124.
 Additional Information
Address: 1352 Slate Hill Road, Camp Hill, PA 17011
Denominational Affiliations: Lancaster Mennonite Conference
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Slate Hill Mennonite Church (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 4 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Slate_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117068.
Landis, Ira D. (1959). Slate Hill Mennonite Church (Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 4 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Slate_Hill_Mennonite_Church_(Harrisburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=117068.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.