From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Science Ridge Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located two miles north of Sterling, Whiteside County, Illinois, is a member of the Illinois Mennonite Conference. The first Mennonites to arrive in this area (1852) were Benjamin Stauffer and wife from Lancaster, Pennsylvania. In 1865 a group of 55 came from Franklin County, Pennsylvania. The church was organized in 1858. At first the preaching was all in German, and services were held only every two weeks. Sunday school was not attempted until 1882. The greatest spiritual awakening came with the John S. Coffman revivals in 1889, when at one time 45 were added to the church. A. C. Good (ordained preacher in 1906, bishop in 1934) served as pastor 1906-1952. In 1957 the membership was 208, with J. Frederick Erb as pastor and bishop.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 1702 E 37th St, Sterling, IL 61081-4047

Phone: 815-626-0538


Author(s) A. C Good
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Good, A. C. "Science Ridge Mennonite Church (Sterling, Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Science_Ridge_Mennonite_Church_(Sterling,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=112370.

APA style

Good, A. C. (1959). Science Ridge Mennonite Church (Sterling, Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Science_Ridge_Mennonite_Church_(Sterling,_Illinois,_USA)&oldid=112370.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 489. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.