Salem Mennonite Church (New Paris, Elkhart County, Indiana, USA)
Salem Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), located one-half mile south and 5 miles west of New Paris, Elkhart County, Indiana, was originally a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. The church was organized by R. J. Smid (1814-1893) in 1889. About one half of the charter members were Mennonite immigrants from Balk, Friesland, Netherlands, who had arrived in 1853 and had held Dutch services in homes and schoolhouses, and also attended German services in the Christophel Mennonite church, an alternate meeting place for the Yellow Creek Mennonite Church. The meetinghouse was built in 1889 and enlarged in 1919.
Ministers of the congregation have been R. J. Smid (Schmidt), J. H. Bare (ordained 1906), Ray F. Yoder, (ordained 1918), Francis E. Freed (ordained 1939), and Harold D. Myers. The membership in the late 1950s was 166.
In 2014 the church was an independent Mennonite congregation with 150 members. The congregation was led by Bishop G. Terrill Yoder, Ministers Jerry A. Helmuth, DeWayne Martin, and Kevin Martin, and Deacon Owen Martin.
Mennonite Church Directory 2014. Harrisonburg, VA: Christian Light Publications, Inc., 2014: 135.
Yoder, Marie. "The Balk Dutch Settlement near Goshen, Indiana, 1853-1889." Mennonite Quarterly Review 30 (1936): 32-43.
Address: 23984 CR 46, New Paris, Indiana
|Author(s)||Ray F Yoder|
Cite This Article
Yoder, Ray F. "Salem Mennonite Church (New Paris, Elkhart County, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 22 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Mennonite_Church_(New_Paris,_Elkhart_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=143398.
Yoder, Ray F. (1959). Salem Mennonite Church (New Paris, Elkhart County, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Mennonite_Church_(New_Paris,_Elkhart_County,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=143398.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 405. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.