Salem Evangelical Bible Church, located in Waldheim, Saskatchewan. Its original eight members emigrated from Bon Homme and Turner counties, South Dakota in April 1899, and possibly organized the following month when services, including Sunday school, were conducted in farm homes. The original name of the congregation was the Salem Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Church. In 1905, after a great revival, the first meetinghouse was built, which was destroyed by fire in 1934, but was immediately replaced by the present frame structure with a seating capacity of 350. The membership in 1956 was 125. Heinrich A. Goossen served as elder and leader from 1899 to 1936, followed by Edwin T. Schmidt. The minister in 1956 was Ed H. Epp.
The congregation joined the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren when the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren churches in the United States merged with the Mennonite Brethren Church of North America. The Evangelical Mennonite Brethren changed their name in 1987 to Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches.
The congregation has been affiliated with the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Church (1899-1960), the Evangelical Mennonite Brethren Church (1961-87) and the Fellowship of Evangelical Bible Churches (1987- ).
The church's address is Box 303, Waldheim, SK, S0K 4R0. (306) 945-2040. Darrell Derksen served as the pastoral leader in 2001.
Mennonite Reporter (15 June 1992): 13.
|Author(s)||Edwin T Schmidt|
|Date Published||November 1997|
Cite This Article
Schmidt, Edwin T and Sam Steiner. "Salem Evangelical Bible Church (Waldheim, Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. November 1997. Web. 27 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Evangelical_Bible_Church_(Waldheim,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=77334.
Schmidt, Edwin T and Sam Steiner. (November 1997). Salem Evangelical Bible Church (Waldheim, Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Salem_Evangelical_Bible_Church_(Waldheim,_Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=77334.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.