The Reesor Mennonite congregation began services about 1848. The first building was occupied in 1857 on the farm of Preacher John E. Reesor. John E. Reesor is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated as a division from the Mennonite Conference of Ontario over the congregation's resistance to revivalism, Sunday school, etc.
A major segment of the congregation left and formed the Almira Mennonite Church (later Steeles Avenue Mennonite Church) in 1964. The building was shared between the two congregations until Steeles Avenue merged with Cedar Grove Mennonite Church. The Markham Waterloo Conference stopped holding regular services at Reesor in 1991. Beginning in 1991 communion services only were offered to remaining members in the Markham area.
In 1925 there were 95 members; in 1950, 100; in 1965, 40; in 1975, 15. The congregation dissolved in 1991. It had been affiliated with the Old Order Mennonites 1889-1930 and then the Markham-Waterloo Mennonite Conference from 1930-1991. The language of worship was English; the transition from German occurred in the 1930s.
The meetinghouse was located 11 km southeast of Markham on Markham-Pickering Town Line Rd.
Frey, Aden. "The Markham-Waterloo Conference of Ontario." Research paper, Conrad Grebel College, 1972, 38 pp.
Mennonites in Canada collection (70-Markham-Waterloo), Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Nighswander, Joe. A Brief History of the Steeles Avenue Mennonite Church 1964 to 1986. 1986, 18 leaves.
|Date Published||May 1997|
Cite This Article
Steiner, Sam. "Reesor Mennonite Meetinghouse (Markham, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 1997. Web. 25 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Reesor_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Markham,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=102343.
Steiner, Sam. (May 1997). Reesor Mennonite Meetinghouse (Markham, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Reesor_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Markham,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=102343.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.