From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Reading, Pennsylvania, county seat (population 114,000 in 1950; 83,463 in 2005) of Berks County in the heart of the Pennsylvania-German culture area of Pennsylvania, is the seat of the second largest congregation of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ (373 members in 1957, 87 in 1911) and one congregation (started in 1922) and two mission stations of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church) with a total of 82 members. The Lancaster Conference also operates the Mennonite Girls’ Home in the city, founded in 1935. The city lies outside the basic Mennonite settlements in Eastern Pennsylvania, the nearest congregation of the old established settlements lying some 15 miles to the south and southeast. It is a very strong center of the Pennsylvania-German culture area.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Reading (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 24 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Reading_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84338.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1959). Reading (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Reading_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=84338.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 257. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.