From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Port Elgin Mennonite congregation began services in 1854, and formally organized in 1858. The first building was occupied in 1861. Solomon Eby is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from Waterloo County in search of cheaper land. About 1870 minister Solomon Eby with most of the members left the Mennonite Conference of Ontario and joined what later became known at the Mennonite Brethren in Christ.

The congregation dissolved in 1902. It had been affiliated with the Mennonite Conference of Ontario since 1854. The language of worship was German.

Services for remaining members continued in homes with ministers supplied from Waterloo County. Preaching appointments at Brant and Culross were part of this group. Services were discontinued when families returned to Waterloo County or joined the Mennonite Brethren in Christ or German Lutherans.

The congregation met 2 km from Lake Huron on the Benjamin Shantz farm.

[edit] Bibliography

Burkholder, L. J. A Brief History of the Mennonites in Ontario. Kitchener, ON: Mennonite Conference of Ontario, 1935: 122-123, 190.

Horst, Isaac R. "1 Mennonite Settlement in Port Elgin." Ontario Mennonite History (April 1997): 25-27.

Mennogespraech (March 1983): 2-3.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published January 1989


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Port Elgin Mennonite Church (Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 13 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Port_Elgin_Mennonite_Church_(Port_Elgin,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114490.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Port Elgin Mennonite Church (Port Elgin, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Port_Elgin_Mennonite_Church_(Port_Elgin,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=114490.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.