Pike Mennonite (Mennonite Church) Church, located two miles west of Elida, Ohio, originated as a daughter of the Salem congregation in 1874, when the first meetinghouse was built, although services had been held soon after Sunday school was started in the Pike area in 1860. The second meetinghouse, built in 1888, which burned in 1930, was replaced in 1934. J. B. Smith (1870-1951) was senior minister at Pike from 1922 to his death. In 1957 Paul Smith and Harold Good were the ministers, with 238 members. At this time the Pike congregation was supporting two mission congregations in Kentucky—Wildcat (1949) and Newfound Mission (1951). The Central Mennonite Church was established in Elida in 1925 by a group of members expelled from the Salem and Pike congregations.
The General Conference of the Mennonite Church was conceived at Pike at a meeting on 11 November 1897.
Swartz, John. "Correction." Personal email (12 August 2014).
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
 Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Pike Mennonite Church (Elida, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 30 Apr 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pike_Mennonite_Church_(Elida,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=124016.
Bender, Harold S. (1959). Pike Mennonite Church (Elida, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 April 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Pike_Mennonite_Church_(Elida,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=124016.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.