From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

North Newton, a village (population ca. 400 in mid-1950s, 1,522 in 2000) in Kansas, was incorporated as a town in 1935 under a mayor-council form of government in order to provide for utilities (streets, sewers, etc.) on the Bethel College campus and the development of postal services for the college community. The village had grown around the Bethel College campus, established in 1893, and is located immediately north of Newton. It includes the Bethel College campus, the residential sections, a business area, the Mennonite Central Committee relief center, and the Bethel College Mennonite Church. Mayors of North Newton have included J. E. Regier, Paul Baumgartner, Jacob H. Lingenfelder, and John F. Schmidt.


Author(s) John F Schmidt
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Schmidt, John F. "North Newton (Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 27 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Newton_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=76447.

APA style

Schmidt, John F. (1957). North Newton (Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=North_Newton_(Kansas,_USA)&oldid=76447.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.