Muntau, a village in the northwest of the Molotschna Mennonite settlement in South Russia. It was one of the oldest settlements of Mennonites emigrating from West Prussia, Germany, to the province of Taurida. In June 1804, 21 of the 162 families who went to Russia in 1803 and spent the winter in the Chortitza settlement settled here. The beginnings on the grass-covered steppes were extremely difficult for these settlers. They could not build their homes until 1805-1806. The village owned 4,870 acres of land. In 1913 the population was about 400, mostly Mennonites. The land, with an 18-inch layer of fertile topsoil, was well suited to the raising of grain. In 1830 a forest was planted, which was kept in prime condition and was very beautiful. The industries of the village included a mill and a starch factory. In 1852 the village built its own school. An endowment given by Franz Wall in 1889 made possible the erection of a hospital, which was enlarged in 1911 and offered the best of service to the people in the vicinity. In 1913 there were three doctors and eight nurses on duty. In that year there were 643 patients with 9,523 days of nursing care.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 186 f.
 Cite This Article
Hege, Christian. "Muntau (Molotschna Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 6 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Muntau_(Molotschna_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=92999.
Hege, Christian. (1957). Muntau (Molotschna Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Muntau_(Molotschna_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=92999.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.