The Mountview Mennonite Brethren (MB) congregation in Stoney Creek began services in 1954, and formally organized in 1960. The first building was occupied in 1959, with a subsequent building program in 1966. John Unger is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through outreach by Vineland Mennonite Brethren Church and the Ontario Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches.
Mountview was originally known as Mennonite Brethren Christian Fellowship Chapel at Hamilton. Members of the Vineland MB Church held Sunday school on Sunday afternoons in Lake Avenue School for children in that community. In 1958, the Ontario Conference built a basement chapel in Hamilton. In 1966, the church moved to a new facility at 380 Highway 8.
The congregation closed 4 November 2001 after it became clear a new approach was required. The Hope Community Church began in the same location on 11 January 2002 with church planters, Don and Sandee Craw. About fifteen persons from the former congregation continued with the new initiative.
Canadian Mennonite (13 March 1959): 3; (16 December 1960): 3; (16 November 1962): 10.
Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 55; (7 December 2001).
 Additional Information
Location: church was located at 380 Highway 8, Stoney Creek, ON
General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1960-2001)
Mountview MB Church Membership
|Date Published||June 2002|
 Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. "Mountview Mennonite Brethren Church (Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2002. Web. 25 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mountview_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Stoney_Creek,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=139273.
Epp, Marlene and Sam Steiner. (June 2002). Mountview Mennonite Brethren Church (Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mountview_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Stoney_Creek,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=139273.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.