Millersville, a town (1957 pop. 2,551;2000 pop. 7,774) in Lancaster County, PA, located two miles (3 km) southwest of Lancaster, was started in 1764 by lottery by John Miller, a Lancaster blacksmith, who purchased of Michael Mayer on 8 May 1749 (surveyed to his father in 1737), 217 acres and more land until he had 460 acres. It was called Millersburg until about 1800, then Millerstown until 1855, when it assumed its present name. Michael Cryder and Peter Kegy were among the first residents. Abraham Herr, George, John, and Bernard Mann, John Correl, John and Michael Shank, Jacob Frantz, Christian Musselman, Andrew Kauffman, Martin Funk, and Peter Eshleman were some of the early Mennonite settlers in that vicinitv. In 1854 the Lancaster County Normal school, which from 1927-1959 was the Millersville State Teachers College, and from 1959-1983 the Millersville State College and since then is the Millersville University of Pennsylvania, had its beginning in the town.
The Millersville Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), with a meetinghouse in town, had 375 members in 1956, and the entire surrounding area had many Mennonite families. The Mennonite Children's Home has been located here since 1911.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III: 138.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Millersville (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Jun 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Millersville_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=144410.
Landis, Ira D. (1957). Millersville (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 June 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Millersville_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=144410.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.