From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][unchecked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
  [[File:MercerCoPA.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Mercer County, PA.  
+
[[File:MercerCoPA.jpg|300px|thumb|right|''Mercer County, PA.  
  
 
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map.  
 
U.S. Census TIGER/Line map.  
  
 
'']]    Mercer County, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], bordering [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], in 1956 had two Amish (one now Mennonite) settlements. The [[Old Order Amish|Old Order Amish]] settlement northwest of Jackson Center, consisting of 109 baptized members in 1956, began in 1942 when Jacob J. Byler with his four brothers and families moved there from Atlantic, in [[Crawford County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Crawford County]]. Other families left Atlantic for the Jackson Center settlement because of the munitions plant established two miles from Atlantic. Eli K. Byler of Geauga County, Ohio, served as their first bishop. In 1956 the bishop was Henry M. Miller. For an account of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonites (MC)]] near Hadley in the same county, see Maple Grove Mennonite Church.
 
'']]    Mercer County, [[Pennsylvania (USA)|Pennsylvania]], bordering [[Ohio (State)|Ohio]], in 1956 had two Amish (one now Mennonite) settlements. The [[Old Order Amish|Old Order Amish]] settlement northwest of Jackson Center, consisting of 109 baptized members in 1956, began in 1942 when Jacob J. Byler with his four brothers and families moved there from Atlantic, in [[Crawford County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Crawford County]]. Other families left Atlantic for the Jackson Center settlement because of the munitions plant established two miles from Atlantic. Eli K. Byler of Geauga County, Ohio, served as their first bishop. In 1956 the bishop was Henry M. Miller. For an account of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonites (MC)]] near Hadley in the same county, see Maple Grove Mennonite Church.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 655|date=1957|a1_last=Hostetler|a1_first=John A|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 655|date=1957|a1_last=Hostetler|a1_first=John A|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Revision as of 19:57, 20 August 2013

Mercer County, PA. U.S. Census TIGER/Line map.
Mercer County, Pennsylvania, bordering Ohio, in 1956 had two Amish (one now Mennonite) settlements. The Old Order Amish settlement northwest of Jackson Center, consisting of 109 baptized members in 1956, began in 1942 when Jacob J. Byler with his four brothers and families moved there from Atlantic, in Crawford County. Other families left Atlantic for the Jackson Center settlement because of the munitions plant established two miles from Atlantic. Eli K. Byler of Geauga County, Ohio, served as their first bishop. In 1956 the bishop was Henry M. Miller. For an account of the Mennonites (MC) near Hadley in the same county, see Maple Grove Mennonite Church.


Author(s) John A Hostetler
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Hostetler, John A. "Mercer County (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mercer_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89856.

APA style

Hostetler, John A. (1957). Mercer County (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mercer_County_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=89856.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 655. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.