From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Mennonitische Forschungsstelle (Mennonite Research Center), at Göttingen, Germany, was founded by the annual meeting of the Mennonitischer Geschichtsverein on 23 May 1948. It has been directed and built up by the president of the Geschichtsverein, Ernst Crous, in his residence at Calsowstrasse 4. By the late 1950s it contained (1) archives of nearly 200 files and boxes comprising written copies, newspaper clippings, photographs, etc., arranged according to subjects, and of more than 100 letter files concerning recent events, as well as over 60 West Russian Mennonite church records; (2) a library of some 1,000 volumes dealing with Anabaptists and Mennonites, Pietism, and other movements inside and outside the church, and general church history, as well as a good number of microfilms and a projector for reading arranged according to subjects, and of Mennonite refugees of 1945 on. By means of a growing lending library and a large correspondence (in 1958 the letter-books numbered 2,670 entries) requests of many kinds or for assistance in research on Anabaptist-Mennonite history such as for dissertation, genealogical studies, etc., could be serviced.

The "Rechenschaftsbericht der Mennonitischen Forschungsstelle" for 1947-1952 and continuations (mimeographed and distributed gratis by the Forschungsstelle) give full information about the work.


Author(s) Ernst Crous
Date Published 1959


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Crous, Ernst. "Mennonitische Forschungsstelle (Göttingen, Niedersachsen, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 16 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonitische_Forschungsstelle_(G%C3%B6ttingen,_Niedersachsen,_Germany)&oldid=83516.

APA style

Crous, Ernst. (1959). Mennonitische Forschungsstelle (Göttingen, Niedersachsen, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 16 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonitische_Forschungsstelle_(G%C3%B6ttingen,_Niedersachsen,_Germany)&oldid=83516.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, pp. 1108-1109. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.