Mennonite Foundation, United States
Mennonite Foundation, a subsidiary of Mennonite Mutual Aid, Inc., was established in 1954 as an Indiana nonprofit corporation to serve as a depository for tax exempt funds, recognized by the United States Treasury Department. It received bequests, legacies, and other funds on deposit, subject to distribution by the depositors to religious, charitable, and educational causes. -- Harold S. Bender
Mennonite Foundation, United States, is a stewardship service agency of the Mennonite churches. It was organized as a not-for-profit, charitable corporation by Mennonite Mutual Aid in 1952. Tax-exempt status was granted by the Internal Revenue Service. The foundation offers estate planning and planned giving services for individuals and investment management services for congregations and church institutions. All gifts distributed by the foundation are donor directed. The foundation has no projects of its own and issues no grants. Major staff time was not used until 1965 when gift assets totaled $152,000. Since then gift assets have grown to over $68,000,000 by 1987. The foundation attempts to be self-supporting and operate on a break-even basis. Operating funds come from service charges, investments, and contributions from institutions and individuals. -- Paul L. Goering
Mennonite Church Yearbook (1988-89): 112, 136.
Annual reports of the foundation are available from its office at Goshen, IN.
Address: 1110 N Main Street, Goshen, IN 46528-2638
|Author(s)||Harold S. Bender|
|Paul L. Goering|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. and Paul L. Goering. "Mennonite Foundation, United States." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 26 Apr 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Foundation,_United_States&oldid=140240.
Bender, Harold S. and Paul L. Goering. (1987). Mennonite Foundation, United States. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 April 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Foundation,_United_States&oldid=140240.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 1107; vol. 5, pp. 571-572. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.