From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Mennonite Church of Lehigh (General Conference Mennonite Church) in 1957 was a member of the Western District Conference. There were a few Mennonite families living in and around Lehigh before 1890 who met for worship in an old frame school building. On 12 December 1900 the congregation was organized, and in 1906 the first church was built. In 1901 evangelists P. J. Krause and C. C. Heidebrecht were ordained as ministers. The latter resigned soon afterward; Krause served until his death in 1917.  He was followed by F. G. Pankratz, who served until 1925, Gustav Frey, who served for 6 years, Gerhard Friesen, and B. H. Janzen. In 1947 Peter W. Goering accepted the charge. The church was enlarged in 1926, remodeled in 1945. The 1954 membership was 227.


Author(s) Peter W Goering
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Goering, Peter W. "Mennonite Church of Lehigh (Lehigh, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 2 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Church_of_Lehigh_(Lehigh,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=88974.

APA style

Goering, Peter W. (1957). Mennonite Church of Lehigh (Lehigh, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Church_of_Lehigh_(Lehigh,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=88974.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 313. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.