From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Maple River Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), 3834 Euclid Avenue, Brutus, Michigan, was organized in 1883, when the meetinghouse was built by settlers who had come from Waterloo County, Ontario, in 1879 (Abraham Detwiler and Jonas Brubacher families). Abraham Detwiler and Jonathan Gehman were the first preachers. The Wisler Old Order Mennonite schism occurred here in 1886 and seriously handicapped the congregation, since both ministers withdrew with the Wisler group (which later died out). Christian Detwiler, who was ordained after the schism, served until his death in 1917. The congregation, a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference, was revived by the action of the conference mission board, which located Clyde X. Kauffman as a minister here in 1921; the congregation was reorganized that year. In 1955 the membership was 64, with Kauffman still serving as pastor, assisted by Earl Hartman. In 2003 the membership was 46.


Author(s) Clyde X Kauffman
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Kauffman, Clyde X. "Maple River Mennonite Church (Brutus, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 19 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maple_River_Mennonite_Church_(Brutus,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113842.

APA style

Kauffman, Clyde X. (1957). Maple River Mennonite Church (Brutus, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maple_River_Mennonite_Church_(Brutus,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=113842.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 475. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.