Mahoning County, Ohio. U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Mahoning County, Ohio
, located in eastern Ohio adjacent to the Pennsylvania
state line and formed from Columbiana and Trumbull counties in 1846, in 1957 was the home of two Mennonite churches (Mennonite Church
with a membership of 159 and North Lima
with 149, and one Wisler congregation (Old Colony Mennonite
), Pleasant View, with a membership of 94. The first Mennonites in the county came from Bucks Co.
, Pennsylvania, in 1807 and were later joined by others from Canada
. The Leetonia
congregation, located a few miles to the south in Columbiana County
and organized ten years later, is part of the settlement. Early bishops were Jacob Oberholzer
and Jacob Nold
. Until the early 1950s, when a bishop was ordained for each of the three Mennonite Church congregations, A. J. Steiner
had served as their bishop. The town of North Lima was the trading center of the community. Youngstown, 11 miles (18 km) to the north, was the county seat.
|| John S Umble
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Umble, John S. "Mahoning County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mahoning_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113496.
Umble, John S. (1957). Mahoning County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mahoning_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=113496.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, p. 441. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.