Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located five miles (eight km) northwest of Burr Oak, St. Joseph County, Michigan, is a member of the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. It was started as a mission station by the Shore congregation near Shipshewana, Indiana, about 1940. On 18 November 1945, the church was organized with 61 charter members, and Orvin H. Hooley was ordained as pastor. Lee J. Miller, bishop of the Shore congregation, served as bishop. The 1954 membership was 190. The first meetinghouse was built in 1941 and enlarged in 1950.

In 2008 the membership was 194; the pastors were Jim and Faith Carpenter.

In 2016 the Locust Grove congregation withdrew from the Indiana-Michigan Mennonite Conference. This move was part of a larger realignment of Mennonite congregations in the 2010s that were formerly part of Mennonite Church USA. These congregations were unhappy with Mennonite Church USA's failure to take stronger disciplinary actions against area conferences and congregations who expressed openness to inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons.

Additional Information

Address: 29525 Findley Road, Burr Oak, Michigan

Phone: 269-489-5041

Website: https://lgmc.blogspot.ca/

Denominational Affiliations:



Author(s) Orvin H. Hooley
Sam Steiner
Date Published June 2017


Cite This Article

MLA style

Hooley, Orvin H. and Sam Steiner. "Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. June 2017. Web. 18 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Locust_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Burr_Oak,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=148721.

APA style

Hooley, Orvin H. and Sam Steiner. (June 2017). Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Burr Oak, Michigan, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Locust_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Burr_Oak,_Michigan,_USA)&oldid=148721.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 384. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.