The Lindale Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), located one mile north of Edom, Linville, Rockingham County, Virginia, is a member of the Virginia Mennonite Conference. Largely because of a shift of the membership of the Brenneman church, it was decided in 1898 to build a church one mile north of Edom on land adjoining the original Brenneman cemetery. This church soon absorbed the membership of the old Brenneman congregation and in 1919 the Brenneman meetinghouse was sold and the proceeds placed to the credit of the Lindale church. In 1900 George R. Brunk conducted in this church the first series of meetings held in the Northern District of the Virginia Conference. At this time 16 were added to the church. Three years later A. D. Wenger held another series of meetings, when 22 were received. The church, being centrally located, served as a gathering place for teachers' meetings, and later a weekly prayer meeting for the district.
The large influx of members from other places to the vicinity of the Eastern Mennonite College in the 1940s largely increased the membership, so that it became necessary in 1948 to enlarge the meetinghouse. The membership in 1954 was 178, with J. R. Mumaw serving as pastor and Moses Slabaugh as assistant pastor. In 2008 the membership was 361; the lead pastor was Duane Yoder.
 Additional Information
6255 Jesse Bennett Way
 Cite This Article
Showalter, Timothy. "Lindale Mennonite Church (Linville, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 6 Dec 2013. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lindale_Mennonite_Church_(Linville,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=83246.
Showalter, Timothy. (1957). Lindale Mennonite Church (Linville, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 December 2013, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lindale_Mennonite_Church_(Linville,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=83246.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2013 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.