From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Mennonite immigrants from the Soviet Union settled in the Ste. Elizabeth area in 1925. More families followed in subsequent years. Worship services began in homes and then rented facilities in 1926. The church was formally organized in 1927. In the first few years both Mennonite ("Kirchliche") and Mennonite Brethren ("Brüdergemeinde") background families worshiped together. A similar settling occurred in the Arnaud area. In 1929 they completed their own meeting house at Ste. Elizabeth. 

By 1931 the church had 4 ministers, 192 congregational members, and a total of 378 members and adherents.

In 1944 another meeting house was built in the Arnaud area. The families in the Ste. Elizabeth and Arnaud areas who had formed the Lichtenauer Mennoniten Gemeinde, named so in part because many were members of this Gemeinde in the Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, now became two independent congregations, the Lichtenau Mennonite Church and the Arnold Mennonite Church. They co-operated in some programs such as the Jugendverein. The village served the needs of the families in the area until the late 1960s when the village disappeared except for a few residences and the Roman Catholic church building.  In 1970 the reunion committee published the history book Of Days Gone By.  At the time of dissolution there were only a handful of active members, 10 to 12.

In late 1994 the building was moved to the Steinbach Mennonite Heritage Museum.

Contents

[edit] Bibliography

Mennonite Reporter (23 January 1995): 1, 15.

Of Days Gone By: History of the St. Elizabeth District. 1970, 153 pp.

Unpublished congregational history, 1980, 9 pp. Mennonite Heritage Centre.

Archival Records

Mennonite Heritage Centre, Winnipeg, MB: Lichtenau Mennonite Church (Manitoba) fonds.

[edit] Additional Information

Denominational Affiliations:

Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba

Conference of Mennonites in Canada

General Conference Mennonite Church (1938-1991)

Lichtenau Mennonite Church Ministers

Minister Years
Johann Enns 1927-1932
Peter Enns 1930-1942
Nikolai Unruh 1933-1935

1950-1990

Heinrich Friesen 1934-1967
P. Dirks 1935-1936
P. Heinrichs 1935-1948

1951-1971

H. Warkentin 1935-1943
Arndt Lehn 1950-1967
Victor Enns 1968-1978
Jack Loepp 1974-1991

Lichtenau Mennonite Church Membership

Year Members
1931 192
1950 144
1965 99
1975 91
1980 78
1985 61
1991 44


Author(s) N. H. Unruh
Richard D. Thiessen
Date Published May 2012


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Unruh, N. H. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Lichtenau Mennonite Church (Morris, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. May 2012. Web. 23 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lichtenau_Mennonite_Church_(Morris,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=92446.

APA style

Unruh, N. H. and Richard D. Thiessen. (May 2012). Lichtenau Mennonite Church (Morris, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lichtenau_Mennonite_Church_(Morris,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=92446.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 335. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.