From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Lehigh Mennonite Brethren Church, ca. 1947-1952.
Creator: Henry J. Wiens (1885-1975)
Digitized by Hiebert Library. Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies
.

Lehigh Mennonite Brethren Church at Lehigh, Marion County, Kansas, a member of the Southern District Conference, was organized 27 August, 1884 under the leadership of David Dyck. The membership fluctuated from 100 in 1890, 23 in 1892, 42 in 1897, 100 in 1928, to 52 in 1953. Anna Enns, a missionary to Africa, was ordained in 1945. Ministers who served the congregation were Jacob B. Wiens, Cornelius Knaak, Jacob J. Harder, A. J. Boese, Gerhard Bartel, John A. Nickel, John A. Harder, Jacob J. Kroeker, G. A. Flaming, William Neufeld, and P. R. Lange.

In 1955 the Lehigh congregation was amalgamated with the Gnadenau congregation of the Krimmer Mennonite Brethren Conference; the combined congregation in 1957 was operating as the Gnadenau Mennonite Brethren Church, with a membership of about 200. Franklin Jost was the pastor in 1957.

[edit] Additional Information

Denominational Affiliations:

Southern District of Mennonite Brethren Churches

General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches


Author(s) P. C Hiebert
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Hiebert, P. C. "Lehigh Mennonite Brethren Church (Lehigh, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lehigh_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lehigh,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=115843.

APA style

Hiebert, P. C. (1957). Lehigh Mennonite Brethren Church (Lehigh, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lehigh_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Lehigh,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=115843.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 313. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.