Langfuhr was first mentioned in historical documents in 1263. In the 13th century the village was owned by the Roman Catholic Church. In 1345 Langfuhr was taken over by the Teutonic Knights and was granted Chełmno rights (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government) in 1404. In 1412 Langfuhr was granted to Danzig city councillor Gerd von der Beke, an ally of the Teutonic Knights.
Until 1772 Langfuhr was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province in 1773, called West Prussia, in which the village was located. Langfuhr was situated in the district (Kreis) of Stadtkreis Danzig until the establishment of the Free City of Danzig in 1920. The village came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until February 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland.
The 1776 Prussian census lists 12 Mennonite families in Langfuhr with the following surnames: Bestvader, Jantzen, Kauenhawen, Toews, van Dühren, Wiens, and Wilcke (four families). In 1820 the village had 636 inhabitants, of which 42 were Mennonites.
Mennonites who were residents of Langfuhr were members of the Danzig Mennonite Church.
Wikipedia. "Wrzeszcz." Web. 1 February 2013. http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrzeszcz.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 1 February 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=3795.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||February 2013|
 Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Langfuhr (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2013. Web. 21 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Langfuhr_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95723.
Thiessen, Richard D. (February 2013). Langfuhr (Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Langfuhr_(Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=95723.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.