From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Namaka, Alberta. The congregation dissolved about 1937. It had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Canada (1930-37). The language of worship was German.

The congregation began services about 1925, and formally organized in 1927. H. H. Willms and A. J. Wall are considered the founding leaders of the group. The congregation originated through immigration from the Soviet Union.

The group included Mennonites from the village of Landskrone in the Molotschna. These immigrants from Ukraine settled on Namaka Farm, an 8 square mile tract of land, from a variety of places and churches in the Soviet Union. The group worshiped together with the Mennonite Brethren who built their own church, but were organizationally associated with the General Conference church at Rosemary, which sent a minister to Namaka once a month. Settlement in the area declined as economic conditions improved and mobility increased.

[edit] Bibliography

Dick, C. L. The Mennonite Conference of Alberta: A History of its Churches and Institutions. Edmonton: The Mennonite Conference of Alberta, 1981, 147 pp.


Author(s) Marlene Epp
Date Published July 1986


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Epp, Marlene. "Landskroner Mennonite Church (Namaka, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. July 1986. Web. 19 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Landskroner_Mennonite_Church_(Namaka,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=88903.

APA style

Epp, Marlene. (July 1986). Landskroner Mennonite Church (Namaka, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 19 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Landskroner_Mennonite_Church_(Namaka,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=88903.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.