From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Kwango Mennonite Brethren Mission in the Belgian Congo (now Democractic Republic of Congo) was one of the Mennonite Brethren missions in Africa. The other, in Kasai, was located nearby. The Kwango mission, embracing the district capital of Kikwit, extended 110 miles (180 km) east and west and 150 miles (250 km) north and south. The population of the Kwango area in the early 1950s was approximately 500,000, living in approximately 1,000 villages and several hundred company posts. The chief mission stations were located at Kafumba, Matende, Kipungu, Lusemvu, Kajiji, Panzi, and Belle Vue. Kajiji and Panzi were taken over in 1954 from the liquidated Unevangelized Tribes Mission. In 1955, 12 missionaries were located at Kafumba, four at Matende, seven at Kipungu, five at Lusemvu, six at Kajiji, six at Panzi, and six at Belle Vue, where the school for missionary children was located. The native church in the Kwango area numbered around 6,000 in 1955.


Author(s) A. E Janzen
Date Published 1958


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Janzen, A. E. "Kwango Mennonite Brethren Mission (Democratic Republic of Congo)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 18 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kwango_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Democratic_Republic_of_Congo)&oldid=88832.

APA style

Janzen, A. E. (1958). Kwango Mennonite Brethren Mission (Democratic Republic of Congo). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kwango_Mennonite_Brethren_Mission_(Democratic_Republic_of_Congo)&oldid=88832.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.