From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Kiel, in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, population (1950) 253,857, is the seat of a Mennonite congregation, founded in 1948 by refugees from the Danzig area who settled in this region. In 1956 it had 332 baptized members, with Hans Rempel as pastor, who was at the same time serving as pastor of a Lutheran congregation in the city. Most of the members lived outside the city in surrounding towns and villages.

In December 1946 the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) relief program in this area was begun with headquarters in Kiel, continuing until the summer of 1950. Until the summer of 1948 Kiel was also the MCC headquarters for the entire British Zone, with C. J. Dyck as director.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 3 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kiel_(Schleswig-Holstein,_Germany)&oldid=92282.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1957). Kiel (Schleswig-Holstein, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kiel_(Schleswig-Holstein,_Germany)&oldid=92282.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.