Lillie Shenk Kaufman was born 13 June 1899 to Abram J. and Malinda Good Shenk in Elida, Ohio. She grew up in Elida attending the public schools there through her third year of high school. She received her diploma from Goshen Academy in 1920.
She committed herself at an early age for missionary service and attended Goshen College, 1920-21; University of Virginia, 1921-22; and Bridgewater College, 1922-23. She graduated from Womens' Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1930. Lillie worked as a physician at the Laurelton State Village for girls, near Allentown, PA and then went to East Africa under the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (Mennonite Church) in 1934 to pioneer the medical work at Shirati, Tanganyika (Tanzania).
After four years in Africa, Lillie returned to the United States and practiced medicine for eighteen years in Fisher and East Peoria, IL. In 1941 she married J. Norman Kaufman and together they served in India (1945-1948) in medical work at the Dhamtari Christian Hospital. The Kaufmans retired at Goshen where Lillie died 13 February 1971.
Graber, Esther. Compiler. "Mennonite Board of Missions Missionary Directory." 1983.
Hershberger, Elma and Lydia Shank. Missionary Evangel (July 1971).
Interview with John H. and Ruth Mosemann.
Rich, Elaine Sommers. Mennonite Women: A Story of God's Faithfulness, 1683-1983. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1983: 183.
Springer, Nelson and A.J. Klassen, compilers, Mennonite Bibliography, 1631-1961, 2 vols. Scottdale, PA: Herald Press, 1977: nos. 26330, 27656.
|Author(s)||John A Friesen|
 Cite This Article
Friesen, John A. "Kaufman, Lillie Shenk (1899-1971)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1987. Web. 17 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kaufman,_Lillie_Shenk_(1899-1971)&oldid=88578.
Friesen, John A. (1987). Kaufman, Lillie Shenk (1899-1971). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 17 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kaufman,_Lillie_Shenk_(1899-1971)&oldid=88578.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.