The Dhamtari Medical Station (later Dhamtari Christian Hospital) of the American Mennonite Mission (MC) and the Mennonite Church in India was situated about a mile northwest of the city of Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh State, India. The medical station was established by the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (Mennonite Church) in 1900. The buildings in Sundarganj, a suburb of Dhamtari, became too small to meet the need after the arrival of Dr. C. D. Esch in 1911. In 1912 the mission purchased the later site and built a medical dispensary and huts for patients. The medical missionary's bungalow was finished in 1913. The work of the medical station grew to such proportions that lines of wards for the hospitalized, an enlarged dispensary with laboratory, operating rooms, examination and dispensing rooms, and clinical facilities' were added and an X-ray machine installed. The first hospital building was completed in 1924.
The poor were given rooms without charge, while wealthier patients were glad to pay for the service. In this ministry of healing religious teaching was given in daily devotional services with the sick, with an appeal to accept Christ as their Saviour. Christian literature was put at the disposal of patients and visitors. Prayer was always offered at the side of the patient on the operating table before operating.
Eventually the whole medical program of the mission was coordinated, so that all mission dispensaries were under the supervision of the medical missionaries. The medical station remained the medical center with station dispensaries as outposts, all to relieve the sick and to bring Christ to the people and the people to Christ.
|Author(s)||George J. Lapp|
|Harold S. Bender|
 Cite This Article
Lapp, George J. and Harold S. Bender. "Dhamtari Medical Station (Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh State, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 11 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dhamtari_Medical_Station_(Dhamtari,_Chhattisgarh_State,_India)&oldid=80129.
Lapp, George J. and Harold S. Bender. (1959). Dhamtari Medical Station (Dhamtari, Chhattisgarh State, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 11 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Dhamtari_Medical_Station_(Dhamtari,_Chhattisgarh_State,_India)&oldid=80129.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.