Hans Herr (17 September 1639-21 January 1725), with his wife Elizabeth Kendig, at the age of 72 brought his family across the Atlantic to free them from oppression in Europe, settling near Willow Street in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in the fall of 1710. Seven children, Abraham and Samuel of Manor, Christian, John, Emanuel, Henry, and Maria, the wife of Bishop Benedict Brechbill, living between Lampeter and Strasburg, also settled within the second decade of the 18th century in Lancaster County. This family was a real asset in establishing this colony in the backwoods of Pennsylvania. Herr was their spiritual leader and for 14 years stamped his guiding principles deeply upon this new foreign colony. His son Christian signed the 1725 edition of the Dordrecht Confession (published at Philadelphia in 1727) and built the Christian Herr house in 1719 along the Conestoga Road, the oldest dwelling and church house west of Germantown, sometimes erroneously attributed to his father.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Herr, Hans (1639-1725)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 24 Aug 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herr,_Hans_(1639-1725)&oldid=81968.
Landis, Ira D. (1956). Herr, Hans (1639-1725). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 August 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herr,_Hans_(1639-1725)&oldid=81968.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.