Herbert is a town (population in 1955 1,200; in 2006 742) on the Canadian Pacific Railroad, 125 miles (200 kilometers) west of Regina, the capital of Saskatchewan. The first Mennonites came to this place from Manitoba in 1904. They were mainly Mennonites of the Canadian Conference (which started in 1903) and from the Mennonite Brethren Conference. Some Mennonites joined the New Jerusalem (Swedenborg) Church. In 1954 this church was bought by Lutherans. In the depression of the 1930s many Mennonites moved away. In later years the land has been irrigated. In 1955 there was a Canadian Conference church, a Mennonite Brethren church, a United church, a Lutheran church, and a Catholic church in the town. There were also Sommerfelder Mennonites, but they had no church in 1955. The Mennonite Youth Society has an Old People's Home here.
|Author(s)||John G Rempel|
 Cite This Article
Rempel, John G. "Herbert (Saskatchewan, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 21 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herbert_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=81937.
Rempel, John G. (1956). Herbert (Saskatchewan, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Herbert_(Saskatchewan,_Canada)&oldid=81937.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.