Harmony Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church), now extinct, located near Harmony, Butler County, Pennsylvania, began in 1814 when Abraham and John Ziegler, Jacob and David Stouffer, Henry Buckle, and John Boyer formed the Harmony Farm Company and bought from the Harmony Society (a Christian communistic group) 9,000 acres, (3642.25 ha.) including the town of Harmony, and three villages with all their shops, industries, and church. The church was used until 1825 when the present structure was built, which is still in good repair. John Boyer was the bishop and first pastor. Others who followed were Jacob Kolb, Joseph Ziegler, who served the church for 45 years, and possibly Jacob Moyer.
The congregation lived to itself, holding out against English preaching, evangelistic services, and Sunday school until the younger generation had been lost to the church. Services continued until ca. 1900. Memorial services have been held from time to time, the last one 12 July 1950.
|Author(s)||James A Steiner|
 Cite This Article
Steiner, James A. "Harmony Mennonite Church (Harmony, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1959. Web. 25 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harmony_Mennonite_Church_(Harmony,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81739.
Steiner, James A. (1959). Harmony Mennonite Church (Harmony, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Harmony_Mennonite_Church_(Harmony,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81739.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.