From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Hammer Creek Mennonite Church.
Photo courtesy of Lee Jay Stoltzfus

Hammer Creek, Pennsylvania Mennonite Church, a member of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference. Until 1819 the Mennonites of the Hammer Creek-Denver district met in eight private homes for worship. Deacon Christian Eby was successful in keeping the children of members for the church during and after the Revolutionary War. The first two bishops were both named Christian Bomberger. From this congregation came Bishop Peter Eby of the Pequea and Bishop Benjamin Eby and the Ebys, Snyders, Brubakers, etc., who emigrated to Ontario in the first two decades of the 19th century. Since 1913 the congregation has had a large brick church. Amos S. Horst and Mahlon Zimmerman were bishops in 1954, Noah Hurst and Parke Heller ministers, and J. Henry Eshleman deacon; the membership was 182.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 590 Hammer Creek Road, Lititz, PA 17543

Phone: 717-626-8080

Website: http://www.hammercreekmennchurch.org/

Denominational Affiliations: Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

[edit] Map

Map:Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hammer_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Lititz,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116820.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1956). Hammer Creek Mennonite Church (Lititz, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hammer_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Lititz,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116820.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 644. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.