From GAMEO
Revision as of 14:03, 23 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (Talk | contribs)


Jump to: navigation, search

The Grossweide Mennonite Brethren Church, located four miles north of Horndean, Manitoba,  was a member of the Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba (1925), the Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1925), and the General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1925). It was organized in 1896 under the leadership of its mother church, the Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church. The first meetinghouse, with a seating capacity of 160, was rebuilt and enlarged. It burned down in January 1953, and was replaced by a new one seating 400, dedicated on 1 November 1953.

The membership in 1954 was 164.  Jacob Heide was the leader and minister of the church in 1925-1944. In 1952 John J. Neufeld was serving as pre­siding minister and A. W. Klassen as assistant minister, with D. M. Hiebert as deacon. Minister Dave Hiebert served in 1963 as pastor. In 1950 there were 120 members; in 1963, 93. The congregation merged with the Mennonite Brethren mission at Horndean to become Horndean Mennonite Brethren Church in 1964.

Bibliography

Canadian Mennonite (24 November 1964): 2.

Toews, John A. A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church: Pilgrims and Pioneers. 1975: 156.


Author(s) John J. Neufeld
Marlene Epp
Date Published January 1989


Cite This Article

MLA style

Neufeld, John J. and Marlene Epp. "Grossweide Mennonite Brethren Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 23 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grossweide_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Plum_Coulee,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=91964.

APA style

Neufeld, John J. and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Grossweide Mennonite Brethren Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grossweide_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Plum_Coulee,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=91964.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 601. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.