The Grossweide Mennonite Brethren Church, located four miles north of Horndean, Manitoba, was organized in 1896 under the leadership of its mother church, the Winkler Mennonite Brethren Church. The first meetinghouse, with a seating capacity of 160, was rebuilt and enlarged. It burned down in January 1953, and was replaced by a new one seating 400, dedicated on 1 November 1953.
Jacob Heide was the leader and minister of the church in 1925-1944. In 1952 John J. Neufeld was serving as presiding minister and A. W. Klassen as assistant minister, with D. M. Hiebert as deacon. Minister Dave Hiebert served in 1963 as pastor. The congregation merged with the Mennonite Brethren mission at Horndean to become Horndean Mennonite Brethren Church in 1964.
Canadian Mennonite (24 November 1964): 2.
Toews, John A. A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church: Pilgrims and Pioneers. 1975: 156.
 Additional Information
Mennonite Brethren Church of Manitoba (1925-1964)
 Grossweide MB Church Membership
|Author(s)||John J. Neufeld|
|Date Published||January 1989|
 Cite This Article
Neufeld, John J. and Marlene Epp. "Grossweide Mennonite Brethren Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 1 Sep 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grossweide_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Plum_Coulee,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=120232.
Neufeld, John J. and Marlene Epp. (January 1989). Grossweide Mennonite Brethren Church (Plum Coulee, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 September 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grossweide_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Plum_Coulee,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=120232.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.