Groß Sanskau (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)
Groß Sanskau (also known as Gross Sanskau, Großsanskau, Sentzkau, Zajączkowo, Duże Zajączkowo, and Zajontzkau; now known as Wielkie Zajączkowo; coordinates: 53.549964, 18.742418 [53° 32′ 59″ N, 18° 44′ 32″ E]; population in 1905, 240) is located approximately 6 kilometres (4 miles) north of Dragacz (Dragaß), 26 km (16 miles) north-east of Świecie (Schwetz), and 59 km (37 miles) north of Toruń (Thorn).
In ca. 1400, Komtur of Pokrzywin Leopold von Eglingen gave Groß Sanskau to a certain Cuncke under the Chełmno right (Kulm Law, a legal constitution for a municipal form of government). In the second half of the 16th century Groß Sanskau belonged to the Polish king. In 1565 the village had 50 1/2 włókas (907 hectares). The village included leased land for 20 farmers, 2 innkeepers, and 9 gardeners. In 1590 the village was subordinated to Reinhold Heidenstein, a royal secretary. In 1601, Dutch settlers settled in Groß Sanskau and in 1615, 18 Dutch settlers paid rent for 30 włókas (539 hectares).
Until 1772 Groß Sanskau was located in what was known as Royal Prussia (also known as Polish Prussia) in the Kingdom of Poland. The First Partition of Poland in 1772 resulted in the creation of a new province on 31 January 1773, called West Prussia, in which Groß Sanskau was located. The village was situated in the district (Kreis) of Schwetz in Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder until the end of World War I, when it came under the jurisdiction of the Pomeranian Voivodeship of the Second Polish Republic. Groß Sanskau came under the control of Nazi Germany during World War II until March 1945, when it was occupied by Soviet forces and returned to Poland. In 2013 Wielkie Zajączkowo was a village in the administrative district of Gmina Dragacz, within Świecie County, Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship.
The 1776 Prussian census lists five Mennonite families in Groß Sanskau with the following surnames: Baltzer, Block, Gedert, Nickel, and Schroeter. In 1935 there were three families in Groß Sanskau that were members of the Muntau-Gruppe Mennonite Church with the following surnames: Becher, Ewert, and Tiahrt.
Stowarzyszenie Konserwatorów Zabytków. "Wielkie Zajączkowo." Catalogue of Monuments of Dutch Colonization in Poland. 2005. Web. 18 March 2013. http://holland.org.pl/art.php?kat=obiekt&id=503&lang=en.
Wikipedia. "Wielkie Zajączkowo." Web. 18 March 2013. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wielkie_Zajączkowo.
Wolf, Hans-Jürgen. "Familienforschung in Westpreußen." Web. 18 March 2013. http://www.westpreussen.de/cms/ct/ortsverzeichnis/details.php?ID=2164.
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||March 2013|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Groß Sanskau (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2013. Web. 24 Nov 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gro%C3%9F_Sanskau_(Kuyavian-Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94981.
Thiessen, Richard D. (March 2013). Groß Sanskau (Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship, Poland). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 November 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Gro%C3%9F_Sanskau_(Kuyavian-Pomeranian_Voivodeship,_Poland)&oldid=94981.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.