Grace Mennonite Church (General Conference Mennonite), located in Albany, Linn County, Oregon, a member of the Pacific District Conference, was organized 29 June 1931 with 21 charter members, led by John M. Franz, P. R. Aeschliman, and A. J. Neuenschwander. The church joined the General Conference Mennonite Church in August 1935 with 61 members.
The membership of 117 in 1954 worshiped in a frame meetinghouse which had previously been a Presbyterian church. Ministers who served the congregation included W. Harley King, William Augsburger, John M. Franz, P. A. Kliewer, Henry U. Dalke, E. J. Peters, and Herbert King. The Pacific Conference held its session here in 1947.
Dissension within the congregation in the 1950s led to the departure of many members. On 10 November 1968 the congregation of 57 members disbanded. The majority joined the Evangelical Church of North America.
Krehbiel, H. P. The history of the General Conference of the Mennonites of North America, 2 vols. Canton, OH; Newton, KS: The Author, 1898-1938: v. 2, 550.
Lind, Hope Kauffman. Apart & Together: Mennonites in Oregon and Neighboring States, 1876-1976. Scottdale, Pa.: Herald Press, 1990: 156-157.
|Author(s)||P. A Kliewer|
 Cite This Article
Kliewer, P. A and Sam Steiner. "Grace Mennonite Church (Albany, Oregon, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2008. Web. 13 Feb 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Mennonite_Church_(Albany,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=102948.
Kliewer, P. A and Sam Steiner. (2008). Grace Mennonite Church (Albany, Oregon, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 February 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Grace_Mennonite_Church_(Albany,_Oregon,_USA)&oldid=102948.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.