From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
The first Mennonite congregation in the city was the [[Brenneman Memorial Missionary Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Brenneman Memorial]] ([[United Missionary Church|United Missionary Church]] (now Missionary Church), 1885), the second the College Mennonite ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]], 1904), the third the [[Eighth Street Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Eighth Street]] ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]], 1920), followed by [[North Goshen Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|North Goshen]] (Mennonite Church, 1935) and [[East Goshen Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|East Goshen]] (Mennonite Church, 1948). [[Goshen College (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Goshen College]] (Mennonite Church) was established here in 1903, the [[Bethany Christian Schools (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Bethany Christian High School]] (Mennonite Church) one mile south in 1954. The headquarters of [[Mennonite Mutual Aid|Mennonite Mutual Aid]] (Mennonite Church) and Mennonite Aid, Inc. (MC), has been in Goshen since 1947. Here were also located the [[Mennonite Research Foundation (Mennonite Church) |Mennonite Research Foundation]] (since 1947), the [[Mennonite Historical Society (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Mennonite Historical Society]] (since 1925), the Archives of the Mennonite (MC) Church (since 1940), the <em>[[Mennonite Quarterly Review|Mennonite Quarterly Review]] </em>(since 1927), and the Gospel Book Store (MC), one of the retail stores of the [[Mennonite Publishing House (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Mennonite Publishing House]] of [[Scottdale (Pennsylvania, USA)|Scottdale]]. See articles on all the above organizations and institutions.
 
The first Mennonite congregation in the city was the [[Brenneman Memorial Missionary Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Brenneman Memorial]] ([[United Missionary Church|United Missionary Church]] (now Missionary Church), 1885), the second the College Mennonite ([[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church]], 1904), the third the [[Eighth Street Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Eighth Street]] ([[General Conference Mennonite Church (GCM)|General Conference Mennonite]], 1920), followed by [[North Goshen Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|North Goshen]] (Mennonite Church, 1935) and [[East Goshen Mennonite Church (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|East Goshen]] (Mennonite Church, 1948). [[Goshen College (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Goshen College]] (Mennonite Church) was established here in 1903, the [[Bethany Christian Schools (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Bethany Christian High School]] (Mennonite Church) one mile south in 1954. The headquarters of [[Mennonite Mutual Aid|Mennonite Mutual Aid]] (Mennonite Church) and Mennonite Aid, Inc. (MC), has been in Goshen since 1947. Here were also located the [[Mennonite Research Foundation (Mennonite Church) |Mennonite Research Foundation]] (since 1947), the [[Mennonite Historical Society (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Mennonite Historical Society]] (since 1925), the Archives of the Mennonite (MC) Church (since 1940), the <em>[[Mennonite Quarterly Review|Mennonite Quarterly Review]] </em>(since 1927), and the Gospel Book Store (MC), one of the retail stores of the [[Mennonite Publishing House (Scottdale, Pennsylvania, USA)|Mennonite Publishing House]] of [[Scottdale (Pennsylvania, USA)|Scottdale]]. See articles on all the above organizations and institutions.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=1956|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=|date=1956|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 19:47, 20 August 2013

Goshen, Indiana (1955 pop. 13,000; 2000 pop. 30,000), is the county seat of Elkhart County. It was founded in 1831, and in 1955 was the seat of five Mennonite churches with a total membership of over 1,600, and shopping center for an area including at least 3,000 more Mennonite and Amish members, and hub of a larger area of 20-mile (32-km) radius with over 11,000 members.

The first Mennonite congregation in the city was the Brenneman Memorial (United Missionary Church (now Missionary Church), 1885), the second the College Mennonite (Mennonite Church, 1904), the third the Eighth Street (General Conference Mennonite, 1920), followed by North Goshen (Mennonite Church, 1935) and East Goshen (Mennonite Church, 1948). Goshen College (Mennonite Church) was established here in 1903, the Bethany Christian High School (Mennonite Church) one mile south in 1954. The headquarters of Mennonite Mutual Aid (Mennonite Church) and Mennonite Aid, Inc. (MC), has been in Goshen since 1947. Here were also located the Mennonite Research Foundation (since 1947), the Mennonite Historical Society (since 1925), the Archives of the Mennonite (MC) Church (since 1940), the Mennonite Quarterly Review (since 1927), and the Gospel Book Store (MC), one of the retail stores of the Mennonite Publishing House of Scottdale. See articles on all the above organizations and institutions.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1956


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Goshen (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 24 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87871.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1956). Goshen (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Goshen_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=87871.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.